Does my Thai girlfriend need a UK Fiancée Visa to get married in the UK?

The simple answer is ‘yes’. Your Thai girlfriend would require a UK Fiancée Visa which is issued by the British Embassy in Bangkok. The purpose of visiting the UK is to marry your Thai fiancée. The marriage must take place within the 6 month period of the visa otherwise your Thai girlfriend will be forced to leave the country.

Once you have married your Thai girlfriend in the UK and all the legalities have been completed, your new Thai wife will be granted a further extension without leaving the UK which is known as “Further Leave to Remain”. This will mean that your Thai wife will be able to remain in the country legally for a further 2 years and 9 months. During this period of time, your wife will be allowed to work – something that she wouldn’t have been able to do on a UK Fiancée Visa.

The extension, when granted, is very similar to the UK Spouse Visa which allows your wife to have a National Insurance number as well as being able to open bank accounts in her own name. The FLR grants your Thai wife permission to do everything that a settled wife would be able to do. The only difference is that your new Thai wife will have no entitlement to any state benefits. However, Child Benefit is allowed if you and your Thai wife have a child together, as this is a permitted benefit.

When Should You Apply For A Fiancée Visa?

It is certainly advisable for you and your Thai girlfriend to visit the UK first on a UK Tourist Visa. The purpose of this is because the culture in the UK is very different to that in Thailand and it would be wise for her to familiarise herself with the UK first before deciding to settle. The general feeling is that this is looked upon more favourable when you apply for the Fiancée Visa. However, here at Thai Visa Express, we appreciate that everyone’s circumstances are different and we will do all we can to assist you with your application.

In the same manner as with the UK Spouse Visa, three key criteria must be met before the application will be accepted. These are to pass the A1 (IELTS) English Test, be free from Tuberculosis, and that the sponsor meets the financial criteria that are put in place by UKVI. Quite simply, you MUST have an annual income of £18,600 or more before tax or, £62,500 in savings in the bank or combination of the two. Sadly, if you cannot meet this criteria, your application will be immediately denied.

There are lots of companies that claim to offer UK visa services in Thailand but many are simply out to make money and offer little to no advice or assistance. Here at Thai Visa Express, as the only UK OISC accredited company in Thailand. We can give you all the information that you need to make all the correct decisions when it comes to the financial requirements for your UK Fiancée Visa. So, if you would like more information, call us on: +66 (0)80 102 2328, +66 (0) 38 420 313 or +44 (0) 20 8133 8059, email us on: or alternatively contact us via our website.