To apply as a partner or spouse, you and your partner both need to be 18 years old or over.
You must also be able to prove one of the following:
- you’re in a civil partnership or marriage that is legally recognised in the UK
- you’ve both been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply for entry clearance ( unmarried partner visa)
You may also need to prove
That you have a good knowledge of English – A1 Language requirements
You do not need to prove your knowledge of English if you fall under the following exemptions
- You’re applying as a child
- you’re applying as an adult coming to be cared for by a relative
- you’ve been in the UK on a family visa for 5 years and you’re extending it as a partner or parent
- you’re over 65
- you have a physical or mental condition that prevents you from meeting the requirement
Further information – how can you meet the language requirements can be found here
How do you prove that you meet the language requirement
You can prove that you meet the requirements by taking an academic test at a government-approved test center
How do you prove that you meet the income requirements
You and your partner must have a minimum combined income of at least £18,600 a year if:
- you’re applying as a partner
- you want to settle in the UK (get ‘indefinite leave to remain’) within 5 years
You must prove you have extra money if you have children who:
If you need to prove extra money for your children, you’ll need to earn an extra:
- £3,800 for your first child
- £2,400 for each child you have after your first child
This is called the ‘minimum income requirement’ of the immigration rules – proof of income
How much it costs depends on where you apply
|Apply outside the UK||Apply in the UK|
|Cost if joining your partner, parent or child||£1,523||£1,033|
|Cost for each dependant added to your application||£1,523 each person||£1,033 each person|
|Cost for an adult who needs to be looked after by a relative||£3,250||£1,033|
Healthcare surcharge costs
You may also need to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your visa application.
You can find out more information if you are applying as a fiancee or proposed civil partner here.
If you want to find out more about how to apply as a partner or spouse, call us now on 0749326987, or contact us today.