UK Visas for Thai Nationals

Like most countries, the UK has a number of different types of visa. The type of UK visa that a Thai National will require will depend very much on the purpose of their trip. One of the most common reasons for a Thai national wishing to visit the UK is when a Thai girlfriend or Thai Spouse wishes to visit their boyfriend or live in the UK permanently with their partner.

Some of the types of visa that are available are the UK Tourist Visa, the UK Spouse or Settlement Visa and UK Education Visas. The visas that we are mainly involved with are the aforementioned UK Tourist Visas and the UK Spouse Visa but naturally, we are more than happy to assist you regardless of what type of visa you require.

UK Tourist Visa

The UK Tourist Visa is the type of visa that your Thai girlfriend would require if she were coming to visit you in the UK. The visa allows holders to stay in the UK for anything up to six months. As a general rule, every time your Thai girlfriend wishes to visit the UK she will need to apply for a new UK Tourist Visa. However, in some cases, such as she has a proven record of travel between the countries, she may be granted a 1, 2, 5 or 10 year visa but this is at the discretion of the UK Border Agency.

It is important to understand that this visa is not intended to allow your Thai girlfriend to stay in the UK for an extended period and she can only stay in the country for a maximum of 6 months in any given 12 months.

The UK Spouse Visa (UK Settlement Visa)

The rules concerning a UK Spouse Visa are quite strict with the most important being that she is legally married to a British citizen. Thai religious weddings that have not been registered at the Amphur are not recognised. If the visa is applied for in the UK, it will be granted for an initial period of 30 months that can then be extended by a further 30 months (making a total of 5 years) should you circumstances have remained unchanged. If you apply from Thailand the initial visa will be for 33 months which can again be extended to 5 years.

After the 5 years has elapsed, it is possible to apply for “Indefinite Leave to Remain” which can later lead to an application to become a naturalised British Citizen.

Other Types of UK Visa

As we mentioned at the beginning, there are various other types of visa available when visiting the UK. Below we have listed just a few of the other types:

  • Investor
  • Entrepreneur
  • Graduate Entrepreneur
  • Exceptional Talent
  • Intra Company Transfers
  • Government Authorised Exchange
  • Youth Mobility Scheme
  • Creative and Sporting Visas
  • Student Visa
  • Student Visitor Visa
  • Doctoral Extension Scheme

We are the only visa company in Thailand that is UK OISC accredited and as such, we feel that we are best suited to assist you with all your visa inquiries. So, if you would like more information, call us on: +66 (0)80 102 2328, +66 (0) 38 420 313 or +44 (0) 20 8133 8059, email us on: or alternatively contact us via our website.